Sunday, September 27, 2015

Quick Rolls

Not to brag, but some people like my rolls. They're quick, not *as* light and fluffy as the kind you let rise twice, etc, but a great quick version. Originally I got the recipe off of Facebook--and I can't find the original post now, sorry!--but I've adapted it a lot for my needs. First I'm going to show my Whole Wheat version. (Originally the recipe was a homemade hamburger bun recipe & it's so GREAT for that too. Just flatten out the rolls more and let rest 10 minutes before putting in the oven rather than letting rise.)

Recipe makes one sheet size pan of rolls. (Sorry, I never count...)

Quick Rolls


1/4 cup active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
2/3 cup melted butter*
1/2 cup honey (or slightly less--play around until you get the right amount for you)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
6 1/2 to 7 cups whole wheat flour

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add butter and honey; let stand for 5 minutes. 

Add the egg, salt and no more than 7 cups flour to form a soft dough. (It may be sticky. DON'T put in too much flour. Rolls will end up heavy and tough.) I use a KitchenAid mixer to kneed my dough for between 3 1/2 to 5 minutes (usually right at four). I've found the KitchenAid kneading to work best since the dough can remain sticky and you don't need to add in the extra flour. 

Using some extra flour, shape into balls. (I usually sprinkle some over the top of the dough as I'm shaping them, using as little as I can.)

Cover and let raise for 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

To make an all-white flour version, substitute all purpose white flour for the whole wheat. You can still use honey, or use 1/2 cup of white sugar.

*The original recipe calls for vegetable oil, which I've been trying to cut out of my baking and use more butter. Melting the butter has turned out to be a big deal for the rolls turning you.



No comments:

Post a Comment